Grilled Smoked Turkey...another amazing grill recipe to try...great taste !
- 1 cup/125 g/4 oz smoking chips
- 1/2 cup/125 ml/4 fl oz brandy
- 3 kg/6 lb turkey, neck and giblets removed, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 cup/125 ml/4 fl oz chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sage and Rice Stuffing
- 60 g/2 oz butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup/60 g/2 oz breadcrumbs, made from stale bread
- 60 g/2 oz pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 11/2 cups/280 g/9 oz rice, cooked
1. Soak smoking chips in brandy in a non-reactive metal dish for one hour.
2. To make stuffing, melt butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, add leek and spring onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add bacon and cook for 5 minutes longer. Add breadcrumbs, pecans and sage and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are crisp.
Remove from heat, add rice and mix to combine.
3. Preheat covered barbecue to a medium heat. Place dish, with smoking chips in, on barbecue grill, cover barbecue with lid and heat for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is hot.
4. Spoon stuffing into body cavity of turkey. Secure openings with metal or bamboo skewers. Tuck wings under body and tie legs together. Thread turkey onto the rotisserie spit and tie it up with string, previously soaked. Combine stock and oil and brush over turkey.
5. Place rotisserie spit over barbecue, cover barbecue with lid and smoke, basting turkey frequently and adding brandy to dish if necessary, for 21/2-3 hours or until turkey is cooked...The great grill recipe of Turkey is ready to serve !