Twice-Grilled Chicken Burritos
A refreshing taste grill recipe to try...the grilled chicken burritos.. a nice one !
- 1 pound (455 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2" (1.3 cm) strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2" (1.3 cm) strips
- 1 small onion, sliced vertically into 1/2" (1.3 cm) slivers
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (2.6 g) chile powder blend
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup (115 g) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream for garnish (optional)
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place chicken in 11" x 7" (27.5 x 17.5 cm) glass baking dish. Scatter bell peppers and onion slices over chicken. In small glass jar, combine 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the oil, the lime juice, garlic, and chile powder blend; cover tightly and shake to blend. Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables, stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Place a 12" x 18" (30 x 45 cm) sheet of heavy-duty foil on work surface, shiny side up; transfer peppers and onion to foil, letting excess marinade drip back into dish with chicken. Place packet on grate over heat and cook for 10 minutes, turning once (be careful not to pierce foil when turning). Move foil packet to side of grate, turning it as you move it. Drain chicken and place on grate over heat. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) for breasts or 170°F (77°C) for thighs and juices run clear, turning chicken and vegetable packet once. Remove chicken and vegetables from grill, but keep grill going for final cooking.
Slice chicken across the grain into thin strips. Place one-quarter of the strips at the base of a flour tortilla. Add about one-quarter of the vegetables (but don’t overfill the burrito); top with 1/4 cup (29 g) cheese. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides, then roll tortilla up tightly. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Brush rolled burritos with remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil. Place on grate over heat, seam side down. Cook for about 2 minutes or until burritos are firm and lightly browned. Carefully turn burritos and cook for about 2 minutes
longer. Serve with salsa and sour cream on the side....and this great grilled chicken burritos is ready for feasts....enjoy it !