- 6 whole boned, chicken breasts (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons green or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- garlic powder, salt and pepper (for sprinkling)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup each of butter and olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced ham or prosciutto, finely chopped
- 12 wooden toothpicks (soaked in water for 5 minutes)
Preheat grill so that coals are white hot in time for grilling.
Melt butter in microwave, stir in oil. To this warm mixture, add Parsley, Rosemary, minced garlic, chopped onion and paprika (a pinch of rubbed sage may optionally be added if you have it on hand, but be careful not to overdo). Allow the herbs to infuse for 10 minutes.
Remove 3-4 tablespoons to a separate small bowl and use this to brush both sides of the chicken.
Place chicken breasts, skin side down, on a layer of wax paper or plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the back of a heavy frying pan or meat mallet until slightly flattened out. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and chopped ham. Add remaining butter, oil and herb mixture to bread crumbs and stir until well combined (if mixture seems too thick, add a tablespoon or so of warm water or more olive oil).
Spoon stuffing mixture into the hollow part inside the chicken breasts. Fold edges of chicken over stuffing to cover and fasten together securely with wooden toothpicks.
Place chicken (about 6 inches away) over white hot coals on grill, skin side down. Grill on one side for about 20 minutes; brush again with more butter/oil mixture (if you run out, just use olive oil spray). Turn chicken over and grill for another 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and golden. Remove toothpicks and the grill recipe is ready to serve. Bon apetit !